Hail Caeser (Cardini) !


Caeser salad with a bit of a twist.
I'm not partial to anchovies, so I rarely keep the tinned varieties in the cupboard, probably because I've never had a decent one. I'm sure they are much more delicious than I imagine, but when I came home from the Tokai market with a pack of farm reared bacon from Cure, I had to see how it would go on top of a Caeser salad.
I had some half stale rye bread, a head of cos lettuce and some organic eggs lying around, so I wasn't going to hold back because I had no anchovies.

Caesar salad with crispy bacon, chunks of toasted rye and pea shoots.
Serves 2
For the salad
Head of cos, washed well
Handful of Pea shoots
4 or 6 rashers bacon
2 slices stale bread, torn
1 tsp Olive oil
Clove of garlic, crushed
Parmesan shavings

For the dressing:
2 fresh eggs
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp mustard
Juice of half a lemon
 2 Tbsp Olive oil
Salt
Black pepper

Wash the salad leaves and arrange in bowls.
Heat a pan and fry the bacon until crisp.
Cut into peices and set aside.
In the same pan, add the bread chunks, add the oil and fry until crispy, season and add the garlic.
Put aside with the bacon.
Fill the frying pan with water, and add the two eggs, still in their shell.
Bring to the boil, remove and cool slightly.
Crack the eggs, separating the egg yolks into a bowl.
Whisk the egg yolks with the crushed garlic, mustard and lemon juice.
Season and add the olive oil drop by drop.
Top the salad leaves with the bacon, croutons and pea shoots, Parmensan shavings spoon over the dressing and enjoy immediately.






0 comments: