Winter warmers

Asparagus and Courgette Risotto

Yes,
I may have forgotten that I do actually have a blog, and I write stuff. 
But, for the past few months, life has happened.
I got married, and that takes up so much time, before its all about getting ready and there are a zillion things that you have to remember, and then after its getting used to having to fight someone for your own duvet...


The best thing about marriage?
Unlimited socks!
When I wake up in the wee hours of the morning (ok, 6:30am) the last thing I want to do and the thing which I do the most is look high and low for socks,
which I am convinced that the dryer/washing machine eats...
I have welcomed my husband and his lovely socks from Woolies happily into my life, and he gets a wife who can cook (score!)
I think that's pretty good going...




Asparagus and courgette risotto

I have heard that making risotto is hard. Well, it isn't...
 However, one word of advice, if you are following an authentic Italian recipe. Then use authentic italian ingredients.
The risotto rice here, is real arborio - the traditional risotto rice which can be bought from Pick n Pay for a fairly decent price, and the parmesan is the real hard cheese variety which you have to grate. Not that nasty crumbly nonsense that you get in packets.

Makes enough for 2 people.

25 g butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
200g risotto rice
1250ml (4-5 cups) of vegetable or chicken stock*
10 fresh spears of asparagus, chopped - saving the heads in one peice
2 medium courgettes, peeled into strips,
20g grated fresh parmesan
salt to taste

* Make up your stock with 5 cups of boiling water and 1 vegetable or chicken stock pot round from Knorr.

In a medium sized pot, heat the olive oil and butter on the stove on a medium heat until melted.
Add in the risotto rice and stir until each grain is coated.
Pour in one cup of stock and stir well.
Once the stock has almost completely dissolved add another cup.
Repeat this process until you have one cup of stock left, stirring often.
This will take 10 - 15 minutes of stirring and topping up with stock, The rice will be getting sticky and start sticking to the bottom, 
stir well and add the courgette ribbons and the asparagus.
Add in the last cup of stock and cook until the risotto is sticky enough for your liking and the courgette and asparagus are cooked but still tender, about 5 minutes.
Grate in the parmesan cheese and season to taste.
Serve immediately.

0 comments: