Miss Muffitt



New York Style baked cheesecake with a
Pomegranate base and Mango coulis


Being German, my grandmother has mastered the art of käsekuchen .


Her's take pride of place every birthday and Christmas, right next to the creamy Black forest Gateau and the tangy Cherry Tart.

I on the other hand have only mustered up the courage to make fridge cheesecake because it always guarantees a smooth and creamy texture.

I have cracked Sacher torte,
stared down Carrot cakes and won,
chocolate gâteaus smothered in chocolate mousse
and dark chocolate truffles and flowers got nothing on me,
hell, even Croissant and Danish pastries,
but baked Cheesecakes,... Well they just scare me really.

Imagine that. Scared of a Cake?! That is just silly really.
The real problem is because I am so used to the fridge cheesecake that I am expecting the same results.
I want the melt in the mouth, soft as cream texture.
I want that tang of lemon with a soft sweet finish.
And thanks to a lifetime of heavenly baked german cheesecake, I know that there is something better out there.
That somewhere in cyberspace there is a lonely little cheesecake recipe, who dreams of fame and fortune.
One day my perfect little recipe, one day I will find you.
But until then there are still many questions left unanswered.

What about the cheese?
Which cheese?
Do I do half cream and half mascarpone.
Do I add cream.
Do I whip the cream?
Do I use cottage cheese?

My gran doesn't have an actual recipe for her cheesecake, she just throws things in.
So I tried out this recipe first and it came out rather nicely.
Next step will be to tackle her recipe.

New York Style baked cheesecake with Pomegranate base and Mango coulis

For the base:
300 g Marie biscuits (1 and a half packs) pulverised.
200 g butter, melted
150 g dried pomegranate arils

For the filling:
900 g cream cheese
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla essence
1 cup (250ml) sour cream
3/4  cup (185ml) milk
4 large eggs
1/4 cup (62ml) flour
Grated zest of half a lemon

Preheat the oven to 170°C

Melt the butter and add to the crushed biscuits, stir in the pomegranate arils.

Mix the cream cheese well with the sugar and add the vanilla essence.
Pour in the sour cream and mix well.
Add the milk and eggs and mix thoroughly.
Sift in the flour and add the lemon zest, and stir gently.
Make sure there are no lumps, and then pour into the lined tin.
Place in the oven for 45 mins.
Lower temperature to 160°C and cook for a further 15 mins.
Switch the oven off and leave in the oven to cool.

The main reason for leaving the cake in the oven to cool is to prevent cracking, My cake started cracking, as I had to remove it from the oven as the housemate needed the oven. But it turned out pretty great actually. The cracks sort of shrunk into themselves and became ridges.

Mango coulis
Serves 2

80 ml water
60 ml sugar
100 g peeled and chopped Mango

Heat the water and sugar on the stove until all sugar has dissolved and bring to the boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the stove and allow to cool. Use a blender or hand blender to blend the syrup with the mango. serve chilled on top of icecream.

0 comments: