The art of la tarte.

Sticky Apple and Kumquat Tart

"Look what I got!"

I enthused to my housemate Debbie on Tuesday evening.
I sliced one of the jewelled orange fruits and handed it to her.

"Ooh loquats?"
She said, gingerly taking the proferred slice of kumquat.

This was the start of the Loquat vs Kumquat conversation.
Loquats are tan to light orange fruits with a large brown pit, similar in shape to a litchi, but with a smooth and almost velvety skin.

Kumquats, however, are a different thing entirely.
These are fascinating little fruits, and are actually quite weird.
They resemble small oval oranges, with a thin skin. Yet the skin is sweet and tart, while its juicy centre is sour.

Almost like some conversations which I have had to endure. Normally they start like this,

"Lara, we need to talk..."

Sweet on the outside, but leaving you with a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth.

A relative of mine recently came back from overseas, gushing with new food ideas.
Unfortunately these food ideas involved me.
Since said relative is older than me, out of respect, I endured the half an hour monologue.

Since I am between jobs aka immediately employable as Cath puts it, out came the possible business ideas.

So far the list reads:
  • Making and painting cushions of indigenous plants.
  • Keeping a herd of goats in the back yard, and making cheese from my Wendy house
    (Did I hear a CCP in the making?)
  • Making bread. From my Wendy house.
  • Growing and selling vegetables (with a grand profit of R6?)
  • Using goat hair to knit together twine so I can bungee jump off the top of my house.
(Last one was mine).

If you think these ideas are grand. Then fantastic! By all means! Go ahead. I might even throw in my Wendy house for you, and hire out said relative for more inspirational ideas on how to run your life.

Kumquats are at their best with lots of sugar, like some conversations...
I shall be making some fantastic jars of preserved kumquats next, but first they will be used in this super easy tart.

This tart came about because my friends were begging me to do simple, cheap and easy. Well, this is really easy, and looks kinda impressive if you lay the fruit neatly.

It is also versatile, I have made it with plums, or peaches and apricots, cherries and apple would be good too. The possibilities are endless...




Sticky Apple and Kumquat tart
Feeds 8 - 10

For the sauce:
60 g sugar
30 g butter
30 ml water
½ tsp cinnamon



For the tart:
2 apples, peeled, and thinly sliced.
5 kumquats, thinly sliced
1 x 400 g pack of puff pastry, defrosted
Milk, for brushing

Preheat the oven to 180◦C.
Mix all the sauce ingredients together and melt on a medium heat.
After 2 minutes, when it starts to thicken,  add the apples and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the apples, and add the kumquats to the pan. Cook until the sauce becomes syrupy, about another 5 minutes and leave to cool.

Place the puff pastry onto a greased tray, fold the sides up, and cross the area in which you will be putting the fruit.

Place the apples and kumquats onto the criss-crossed part of the pastry.

Pour any remaining syrup over the fruit.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Brush milk along the sides for a brown finish.

Bake in the oven until the puff pastry is crisp, about 20 - 25 minutes.

You can make up another batch of the sauce to serve, as this is not a very sweet tart. Serve with plain vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. what a gorgeous tart! and isn't unemployment a bugger? I'm in the same boat, dude.. sad times!

    ReplyDelete