An apple a day...

Roast Chicken with Apple Stuffing




I think that cumin must be my all time favourite spice. I don't know why, but it smells mystical to me, and when you bite into the oval seeds, the flavour is almost unexpected.

My default spice at the moment is smoked paprika, and when I couldn't find it while preparing this chicken, I found myself wondering why I hadn't tried cumin before.

You can use the same stuffing with the apricot stuffed chicken, and just replace the apricot with cooked apple and the thyme with crushed roasted cumin.

Roasted chicken stuffed with apple and cumin and all the trimmings.
serves 4

For the chicken:

1 x 2kg whole free range chicken
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp cumin seeds

1 onion
1 small apple, peeled

Roast potatoes and veg

Gravy:
2 Tbsp flour
Boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180◦C.

If making stuffing, make this first.

Remove any giblets that are in the chicken.
Mix the salt and the butter together and rub all over the chicken.
Using a pestle and mortar, or a grinder, grind the raw cumin seeds and sprinkle this all over the chicken. If you have made stuffing, spoon it into the chicken. Otherwise chop the onion and apple, and place it in the chicken cavity.

If making roast veg, add them to the roasting tin. I like to place them under the chicken, so the bottom of the chicken doesn't burn, and the vegetables can soak up some of the juices.
You can also peel and chop up some extra apples and place them under the chicken too. These will be all golden and caramalley from the long roasting - gorgeous.
Place in the middle rack in the oven and cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

When the time is up, remove the chicken from the roasting tin and place breast side down to rest for 10 minutes before carving.

For the gravy:
Brown the  flour in a pan and add the juices from the roasting tin. Add boiling water to attain the desired thickness, and bring to the boil.

1 comment:

  1. DELICIOUS! Just love a roasted chicken. I especially like the 10 minute rest breast side down tip. Excellent advice!

    BTW- I have my first giveaway contest today posted on my blog. Stop by if you are interested!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete