Waffling on...

Choc Chip Waffles, Chocolate Syrup and Icecream


A lot of people ask me how I get inspiration to write and create recipes. My general response is, well it just hits me. Today as I write this it literally did just hit me on Tuesday this week.

In order to tell you of my life, in its full regalia, I would have to start at the beginning of my week which started on Sunday night.

After returning home after church I found David N was at my house. This is not uncommon, as my house seems to be the thoroughfare to all sorts of people lately.
For those who don’t know, David is the teenage son that I never wanted. He has waltzed into my life, and made himself part of the furniture. A very loud and argumentative piece of furniture.

David had been threatening earlier on in the month that he would be hooking me up with his cousin, and as I had feared he had organised a surprise visit from him that very night.

Yes, it was awkward, and yes it was very obvious from the start that when David announced that he was making tea, and proceeded to drag my flatmate into the kitchen, that the awkward silence that followed was meant to be littered with snatches of scandalous conversation and flirtatious laughter from me at his cousin’s bad jokes.
David stared at me through the kitchen door before closing it to concentrate on making tea, because I was not doing the above.

So if anyone is looking for a tall, good looking, Afrikaans lumberjack/paramedic in the southern suburbs area, let me know. And FYI David. It's not very reassuring for a woman to know that he has his own chainsaw…

Monday came all dewy and full of promise. I looked out of my window to see a half mangled hedge and branches strewn all over the lawn. 9am came and went and still there was no sign of Owen, the individual who had half started cutting the hedge on Friday. Now I will just have to be resigned to the fact that the hedge is now a work of art best described as an inebriated Edward Scissorhands meets Picasso creation, until a replacement hedge cutter can be found. Although now that I DO know someone who has a chainsaw…

Tuesday was just plain bizarre.
It happened to be a sunny day, and so I was suddenly inspired to sow some more veggies in my little veggie table.
I added some more compost, and potting soil, and water to make a sufficiently sloppy box of moist soil for the seeds.
Since this generally gets me all worked up, I had soil up to my elbows and was needing to hose off as I didn’t want to get soil all over the seed packets.

I went around the side of the house to use the garden hose, turned the rather stubborn tap to full, and was not so pleasantly surprised when the top of the tap came shooting off, and I was hit full on in the face with a forceful stream of water.

20 minutes later, not only was I sopping wet, but also covered in flying bits of mud and twigs as I, armed with a rake, was manically trying to find the manhole cover which housed the water mains tap.

Not only was this tricky as the ground was covered in twigs and stray branches, (Owen’s handiwork from Friday). But the instructions from my father of “perpendicular from the wall from the copper pipe, and 1.5 or 1 metre away from the fence” was proving to be more than my almost hysterical brain could handle.

In the end, armed with my black rubber gloves and a fierceness that scared even myself, I managed to locate the washer, the jumper and secure the tap to a less psychotic stream of water.

Thursday saw me explode a gem squash in the microwave, so violently it actually hit open the microwave door and landed on the floor. It is an old microwave, but still, that just takes a special kind of talent, considering I had pierced said gem squash several times to prevent this from happening.

On Friday I practically stayed in bed all day, I just wasn't sure what else would be thrown at me...

So right now, right this very moment, a plate of waffles sounds mighty therapeutic.

Chocolate chip waffles with vanilla Icecream and chocolate sauce
Makes 10 – 12 waffles (dependant on waffle maker)

Waffles:
2 eggs, separated
¾ cup (185 ml) milk
½ tsp vanilla essence
4 Tbsp butter, melted
2 cups (500 ml) cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
125 ml dark chocolate chips

Icecream:
1 to 2 scoops of vanilla icecream per person

Chocolate sauce:

1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) water
15 - 20 g cocoa powder

For the chocolate sauce:
Boil together all ingredients for 5 minutes.

For the waffles:
Preheat waffle iron.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
Mix the egg yolks and milk together, add the essence and pour in the melted butter. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Whisk the egg whites until they resemble stiff peaks.
Mix the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well and fold in the egg whites.
Add the chocolate chips.
Stir until all ingredients are combined, but do not whip in a frenzy to a sticky mass. Be kind to your batters, and mix well, but not over done.

Spoon the mixture into the waffle iron, making sure the batter fills all corners and you cannot see the indentations from the iron.
Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, until the waffle comes cleanly away from the sides.

Serve hot with the scoops of ice cream, and chocolate syrup.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the giggle, too funny that he tried fixing you up.
    Nice looking waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this post... a recipe and a story!!!

    Beautiful photos... just love the whole look!

    The combination sounds delicious. Thank you for submitting this to eRecipeCards.com. Everything worked perfect. Please consider making us a habit whenever you post anything new and of course, you are welcome to show off some of your earlier favorites as well!

    Great post

    ReplyDelete