Pandamonium

Spicy Chicken Wraps and Peppadew Mayo


Pandemonium.
That is the only word in which I can describe the last month of my life.
Things have been so hectic and uphill, and well, as they say, "when it rains it pours".

My dog has taken to chewing everything and anything.
Last week I found my ear plugs that went missing.

Debbie also found her collection of fly swatters half eaten, and scattered across the lawn. It would all be funny and only slightly awkward if Tosca were some sort of weird old man who collected interesting things, or a magpie, if only his collection of junk weren't half chewed and mostly made of plastic.

Most days I want to beat him with, well whatever I can find, or the offending item he has "borrowed". The neighbours can't complain that I am completely out of my mind when they see me chasing him up and down the garden with a half eaten towel, because the other day one of them almost rode me over, and the other neighbour has chickens.
Having and breeding chickens just puts you into a whole new category of special.

Despite my very exciting and very varied life (moment of sarcasm here), I did however get to spend the past weekend with an amazing group of young adults in Franschhoek for our Church winter camp.
A conversation was sparked by a fellow's T-shirt emblazened with a strong silent typed Panda. The topic leapt from Wingmen to Panda's to Pandaland at UCT, where some people were surprised to find out that their legendary wraps were created by me. To my surprise I found out that they are still making and selling these wraps which I created 4 years ago.

Unbeknownst to some, before I went overseas a few years ago, I spent a few months working at Pandaland café in the UCT foodcourt.
The café started off with selling sushi, and I was asked to take over ordering, stock control and to jazz up the menu. This is were I dreamed up the spicy chicken with Peppadew mayo wrap and the Butternut and Feta wrap.

Working there, I met some great people (who are still friends with me, surprisingly, having not been scared off by me and my craziness or my car and its contents...) but since I had already promised my best friend to accompany her to the UK at the end of the year, when December came by it was time to say goodbye to Pandaland and the Pandaland dance (Sandile - you know what I am talking about...)

So I left behind the little electric wok, the temperamental microwave, and the suicidal "cat" (which eventually jumped off the top of the fridge and smashed into smithereens) to embark on my little journey overseas.

So as the proud owner of this little recipe, without further ado, here it is...

These wraps have the addition of avocado, because avo is just plain awesome!

Spicy chicken wraps
Makes 6 wraps

For the chicken:
800 g chicken fillets (skinless and boneless)
2 Tbsp olive oil
40 g Portuguese spice from Spice Mecca (can be bought at Pick 'n Pay or Fruit and Veg)


for the salad filling:

6 wheat wraps or tortillas
50 g salad leaves
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium avocado, sliced

6 Tbsp mayonnaise
6 Tbsp plain yoghurt
12 Peppadews

Method:
Place the Peppadew mayo ingredients into a blender, or using a stick blender, blend them until smooth. Set aside.

Chop the chicken into 2cm cubes.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chicken. Stir well, and fry for 8 minutes. Add the portuguese spice and stir well. leave to fry for a further 2 to 3 minutes, until crisp and coated with the spice.

* Keep the heat to a medium at this stage as the spice tends to burn, and stick to the bottom of the frying pan*

While the chicken is frying you can wash, chop or slice all the salad ingredients.
Divide them into six portions.

When the chicken and the salad are ready. Place the wraps in the microwave to heat for 5 - 10 seconds (this depends on your microwave power - you only want to heat them up so they soften and roll easily).

Place the chicken and salad ingredient in the middle of the wrap, and add two tablespoons of Peppadew mayo. Fold the wrap towards you, so it makes a semi circle, and then roll from the side away from you to form a cylindrical shape which is closed on the bottom.

Eat and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Chicken wraps ... Yeah freaking awesome! I definitely agree with you on the avocado it just takes the taste to a whole new level and peppadew mayo ... wow sounds scrumptious. I would have never thought to add the yoghurt to the mayo base, but it makes so much sense. You would have added it to balance the taste so the mayo isn't so tangy, right?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete