Cake, hoe lyk it?

Dark Chocolate Ganache for cakes


Picture it.
Its quarter to 12 in the afternoon.
I am waiting in the lounge of Kelvin Grove for my father to pick me up and take me home.
At home, on my bed, is a pile of items. Stockings: in two shades, lipsticks: in at least three varieties, 2 types of mascara, my shoes, foundation, concealer and umpteen different hues of eye shadow.

What differed, however, on this particular Saturday, was that in exactly 2 hours and 15 minutes it was my cousin's wedding, I was one of the bridesmaids. How on earth was I going to get home, get all of my make up and things to the hairdresser, in time for my 12 o' clock appointment, do my make up, get into my dress, and get the bride into her dress as well?

Arriving fashionably late is one thing, arriving at the hairdresser to find that he is no less than a "creative genius" is another. I don't trust many people with my hair, and I definitely don't trust geniuses of any sort.
He sat me down, and short of twirling me around in the chair, glowed with hairdressy pride as he told me that he would "make me look like a fairy princess".
All I could think was " I.Am.Going.To.Die." and, "thank the Lord, there is no glitter to hand."

In the end it wasn't too hideous, I did have some spiky "flower" type thing perched menacingly on top of my head, but with an hour to go till the wedding, even my ghd couldn't save the day.

In short once the flower girl had been caught and wheedled into her dress, the bride was all glamoured up and the bridal car had arrived there was no more time left to panic.

Ah, the things you do for family. My cousin looked radiant, and her hubby was just plain glowing with pride. What a wedding. What a night.

And that's it for me for the year, no more bridesmaids and cakemaker's duties, I'm done. Phew.

Dark chocolate Ganache for cakes
This covered 2 cakes and 48 cupcakes.


675 g dark chocolate
500 ml fresh single cream

Finely chop the chocolate, or buy it in callets. Place the chopped chocolate into a large bowl.
Bring the single cream to just boiling and pour over the chocolate. Using a very gentle stirring motion, mix the chocolate and cream together.

To melt the ganache, because it sets quite quickly, heat over a bain marie (water bath - boil water in a pot, with the ingredients in a bowl on top of the pot).

0 comments: