Die Burger


Chicken burger & Mango Chilli Salsa.
Beef burger with Red onion Relish and Cheddar.

My childhood memories always seems to go hand in hand with food.

Most probably because I come from a family who believe in eating, and put this belief into practice.

My German grandmother could and would feed the entire neighbourhood at our family gatherings. The only time she ever sits down, is when everyone has their plates full, and even then she will flutter around to make sure everything has been dished up and we are all sufficiently stuffed. She is also very outspoken, and will not shy away from having her word in (oh, right, thats where I get it from...)

My beloved grandmother. She has a force similar to that of a hurricane or bull in a china shop. None of that sweetly smelling of Lavender, tea drinking nonsense. No, my grandmother happens to live next door and is made of iron maiden stock.

Her statements always come after she gives you a huge hug, so you are slightly off guard. She believes that you are what you eat, and takes this literally as she once reminded me a few weeks ago. She was very pleased that things were going well (it was my brother's 30th Birthday party) and that everyone had been sufficiently fed and looked after. I was chatting to my flatmate who had just arrived home, when my grandparents were coming to say goodbye. My grandmother looked to my petite flatmate and said, "sho, but you need to gain some weight my girl", and then turned to me, patted me on my tummy and said "and you need to lose some weight".

My grandmother firmly believes that I am unmarried due to the fact that I eat bacon (and I'm not even Jewish!) Her thoughts are something similar to this: eating bacon makes you fat, if you are fat you will not get married (well there goes to my lifetime subscription to Eskort).

Despite this love-hate relationship with food, I have, somehow, managed to come out unscathed and passionately love to cook and experiment with food.

Burgers come high on my list of "10 foods I would eat myself fat on" (fine print: if my grandmother would let me...) because sometimes all you really want is something tasty and comforting.

In my household we call them "Hefty Hamburgers" because we make ours from meat and not that inedible cardboard you find so often at takeaway joints.

10 things I would gladly eat myself fat on.
Number 5: Burgers

Chicken or beef is a good question. Such a good question that I cannot choose between them. Both it is.

Seared chicken fillet burger with Mango chilli salsa
Makes 6 burgers

Chicken burgers:
6 chicken fillets, deboned
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon

Make beforehand for flavours to infuse.

To assemble:
6 Portuguese or hamburger rolls, buttered
100 g lettuce leaves
2 tomatoes, sliced

Slice the chicken breasts open. Preheat a frying pan, and add the olive oil. Season the fillets and squeeze over the lemon juice. Lay side by side in the hot pan. Fry for 10 minutes, or until brown and the inner flesh is no longer pink.

Place lettuce on the bottom half of the bun, add two slices of tomato. Lay the chicken breast on top of the salad, and add a tablespoon of mango salsa on top.

Beef burger with red onion relish and cheddar
Makes 6 burgers

Beef burger: 
450 g mince
1 onion, chopped,
3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 tsp chopped parsley
5 ml worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chutney
1 egg
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil for frying

(Alternatively use the meatball recipe with 500g beef mince and make 6 x equal weight patties.)

Red onion relish:
1 tbsp olive oil
10 g butter
1 large red onion, sliced
4 tsp brown sugar
4 tsp vinegar
4 tsp water
Salt and pepper

to assemble:
6 Portuguese or hamburger rolls, buttered
100 g lettuce leaves
2 tomatoes, sliced
18 slices of cheddar cheese

Start with the red onion relish.
Heat the olive oil and butter together in a small pot. Add the slices of onion and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn stove on to hottest heat and add the sugar to the onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and water, and season to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes until thick and syrupy.

Mix the beef burger ingredients, and divide into 6 patties.
Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the patties on each side for 4 to 5 minutes (depending on the thickness of your patties).
Place lettuce on the bottom half of the bun, add two slices of tomato, and follow with three slices of cheese. Lay the beef patty on top of the salad, and add a teaspoon of onion relish ontop.

Serve with golden chips, or an additional salad, or anything your heart fancies :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing recipes . i like this recipe ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasure, I'm glad you like it :) Give it a try and tell me what you think, I welcome all feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny funny post. I have an uncle that says whatever he thinks. Painful sometimes and lots of eyerolling and apologies from my aunt...

    And I would eat myself fat on any or all of those!

    BTW- I have my first giveaway contest today posted on my blog. Stop by if you are interested!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete