Spice it up.

Herby Battered Fish with smoked Paprika potato wedges and
warm chilli Mango and red onion Salsa with Mint


Today's chilled Sunday vibe ended up being quite a culinary Adventure...
I was quite out-hearted by Saturday as this weekend's social events centered around our "Alice in wonderland" Kitchen tea (which was uttery fantastic) and the dreaded Vday lurking tomorrow.
So anything pink, red or remotely floral scented will get the boot.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti Vday per se, I'm just anti-the rest of the other 364 days in the year. Why can't I get flowers and chocolates and all sorts of nice things on all the other days rather than the mad rush to get me something cheap and cheerful on the one day that everyone else gets the same things, it kinda makes it not so special for me...

Anyway.

So for a friend and I, what started off as a lets-go-get-some-fish-and-chips ended up being a darn-its-closed-ooh-look-mangoes! day (days like these are fantastic).

At first I was sceptical of the Mango-fish combo. Because of a fairly recent catastrophe of where I tried to recreate a dish I had in London involving fish and mango which has left me a little burnt at the fingertips to say the least. And no not the pan was too hot burn, rather the ugh, lets just let this concoction hide somewhere in the back of the fridge shall we?

But having a persistant friend, who is also an avid foodie and food concoction fundi, I gave in.
Probably because he brought me chocolate cake.

So, Truemann's Fish and Chips were closed, and Kalky's was just too far to bear, so we popped into the Little Fisherman by the Old Bakery and snapped up some fresh Kingklip. Definitely more pricey than the Hake, but much more delicious and meaty.

10 foods I will gladly eat myself fat on
Number 8: Fish and chips

Herby Battered Fish with smoked Paprika potato wedges and
warm chilli Mango and red onion Salsa with Mint
Serves 2 (of course)

Herby battered Fish 2 x 200g steaks of boneless Hake/Kingklip/Kabeljou
60ml flour
3T sparkling water
Salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, mint and coriander.

Heat a pot or pan of sunflower oil on the stove. Pour in the amount of oil you would like to either, shallow or deep fry the fish.
Mix the flour with the water, egg and salt. Mix in the herbs, adding more water to achieve a coatable batter. Drop a spoonful of the batter into the oil, if it floats to the top, the oil is hot enough.
Coat the fish evenly in the batter and drop into the hot oil.
Leave to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.

I served this with warm chilli Mango and red onion Salsa with Mint,
Smoked paprika potato wedges and Olive Ciabatta bread.

Warm chilli mango salsa
We kinda stumbled upon this by accident. After debating whether to keep the salsa fresh and raw by just adding chilli and lemon juice, we realised another more exciting option was available to us. The chance to change the course of Fish/Mango history was too tempting for me, so we decided to make a vinegary sweet chilli sauce to throw over the mango.
Because the mango wasn't incredibly ripe it was firm enough to handle the heat.

We then dined on the combo of the herby fish, smoked paprika potato wedges and this aromatic sweet and sour mango salsa and fell off our chairs it was so delicious.

Warm chilli Mango and red onion Salsa with Mint.
1 large mango, diced.
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 sprig mint, sliced.
Fresh coriander leaves.
1 tsp chilli flakes
40 ml sugar
2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 lemons, juiced

Mix the diced mango, chopped red onion and chopped mint in a bowl. Add the coriander
leaves and leave in the fridge to cool.

When frying the fish and the fillets are about 5 minutes until fully cooked, start cooking the warm chilli sauce for the salsa:
Heat the chilli flakes, sugar, water, smoked paprika and lemon juice in a pot. When all sugar has dissolved take off the heat and pour onto the mango salsa.
Serve immediately.

Smoked paprika potato wedges
3 medium potatoes, peeled or unpeeled and sliced
1 Tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper

Toss the potatoes with the oil - bake in the oven for 45 mins at 180°C.
After they are cooked, sprinkle with the smoked paprika and season. Bake for a further 5 mins.

For this recipe I followed the recipe and spread it flat like focaccia bread, topping it with fresh herbs, red onion slices and black olives.

Bake at 180°C until brown on the bottom, and when poked the bread bounces back.

3 comments:

  1. Hey my friend,

    I was just sitting here thinking about your "Spice it up" fish and chips you made a while back, that I had the honour of tasting. I can confidently say that it was the best fish and chips that I have ever tasted and most definitely my favourite recipe on 'How to cook an Elephant'. My mouth waters just thinking about the battered Kingclip, smoked paprika potato wedges and mango salsa...

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I was just getting ready to make a comment and then I saw the comment above... I am also a David Scott (david Lee actually).

    Beware of anyone with two first names

    And anything mango in February sounds wonderful.

    Now go bake your Dave Scott a loaf of bread we deserve it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. Another David Scott in the world ;) David S is most definitely my number 1 guinea pig :)

    ReplyDelete