Toast.

Toasted Cheese Sarmies with Basil and Tomato


Today I felt like toast.
A little dried out, a little crumbly and not particularly tasty.

Its been a bit of a week for me, there is so much going on in my life, and im like, “woah. Where’s the exit?”

I have had the most exciting weekend- I slept. Mainly.
My neighbour has chickens, and thankfully even they honour Sunday mornings. So they let me sleep in this week, and started crowing at 6am, and not their usual 5:30am. Most days they seem more like cross between alpha chicken and hadida and just because they have no cockerel one of them has decided to take up the mantle and crow anyway. Blasted things.

One of my fabulous best friends is getting married in March. I am over the moon. I am one of her 5 bridesmaids, and the official cake maker. My cousin is also getting married this year. The prospective date was in October, but has moved to July. I am also her bridesmaid and official cake maker. My life for the next few months will consist of dress fittings, cake fittings, shoe shopping, hair twisting, invitation stamping goodness. So my mind is going full speed on cake ideas and i'm living in and on chocolate at the moment. I’m loving it all, but sjoe! It’s a lot of work! No wonder one of the speeches at weddings is made to the exhausted and wan looking table of bridesmaids wilting in the corner.

So on Saturday our group of bridesmaids (for the March wedding) went shoe shopping. Us and all the brides and bridesmaids in the entire Western Cape area were looking for silver shoes.
Unfortunatley we had no luck (read here- “there is no way I’m putting the shoe equivalent of a FabergĂ© egg on my foot").

I can see why shoe shopping to some is like sport. Sales are the female equivalent of a rugby scrum. Trust me, you don’t want to get in the way of a woman on a mission at sales. You can’t tell until its to late, and then you see a crazy eyed woman diving across the sales floor towards you as you stand wide eyed clutching some item of clothing between your white knuckled hands.
Ok, so its not that bad here in lovely South Africa, because all the cheap clothes are mainly rubbish, but London. January sales. How I miss them, but seriously don’t go there. I have battle scars.

Anyway, so exhausted and battling off semi submerged feelings of abandonment at being separated from the group and wandering around canal Walk, I arrive home, shoeless.

So I was far to exhausted to think up some fantastical recipe with exotic ingredients and a 25 step making process.

Todays blog post (more like slog post) is dedicated to the simple and delicious use of my two faveroute ingredients: Olive Oil and fresh Basil as well as the much awed and forbidden slices of soft white bread.

Delicious and easy to make, these toasties are an instant hit (well with me) and comfort food for the couch potato (also me).















Basil and Tomato toasted cheese sandwhiches
makes one toastie

1 red tomato
Olive oil
1Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
Two slices of white bread
2 or 3 slices of cheese
4 leaves of fresh basil

Heat a pan on the stove.

Slice the tomato and marinade in some olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Season and set aside.
Pour a small amount of olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.
Place the bread, oiled side down in the pan, place the cheese on top of the un-oiled side.
Place the tomato slices on top of the cheese, pour remaining balsamic on top of the tomatoes. Place the other slice of bread, oiled side up on top.
Fry on a low heat for a few minutes until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Pry open the sandwhiches, and lay the Basil leaves on top of the tomatoes.

Eat immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Loving your blogs.. When you getting a website dedicated to Food.... Lara your are South Africas equal to Jamie Oliver. Go on get a scooter and get cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, thanks Kyle, maybe I should create a lisp for myself AND get that scooter. Having visions of wiping out people with a large loaf of french bread while driving full speed through Cape Town central, hmmm maybe not. Patience, I am in the process of taking over the world, one recipe at a time...

    ReplyDelete