How to eat like an Elephant

Easy Tomato Sauce
It is February and I have been faithful to my New Years resolutions (for once) probably because I kept them easy and attainable this year.

1 Eat more chocolate for breakfast. (Tick)
2 Wear high heels more often. (Tick)
3 Throw scale out of the window. (Haven’t quite yet put finishing touches on farewell party).
4 Spend less weekend evenings staying at home and writing like a recluse and get out and HAVE SOME FUN (almost there.)

As an avid diet hater, I don’t really need any reasons to diss them. growing up I was encouraged to entertain many eating fads. But there comes a time in a girl’s life when she stares the slimslab she is holding in the eye (?) and calmly slams the glass of putrid looking slimshake onto the table top and just plain gets sick of it all. All the calorie counting and the unnecessary guilt, the subliminal media messages and the stick insects we hold up as rolemodels, ugh. I am so over it.

I spent some time 2 weeks ago watching people walk by me in the shopping mall. I really really looked at them. Ok, I don't normally do this because it can be seen as slightly odd, and I was actually trying to find the rest of my bridal group after being left abandoned and alone (sob) in Canal Walk. Anyway. So guess what I found out!!!! 98% of the women I saw walking past me were over size 14/16.
It left me thinking, oh my word! Do you know why such a large percentage of these people were "plus sizes" (ugh) BECAUSE THEY ARE NORMAL! Most of the world are not a size 8 or 10. stick insect models can go stick it. I am not starving myself to make myself this "ideal" when the rest of the world are not that size and even if they were I am an individual and have individual needs so why would my body and weight have to line up with some sort of sliding scale. Frankly life without pizza is just dismal and I will not live without it. And that's all I have to say about that. For now...
So in celebration of food in all its gloriousness, I pledge to live healthy, live well and enjoy the journey. I will be walking you through my 10 most faveroute foods for the next 10 weeks. Feel free to comment and add your own :)

10 foods I will gladly eat myself fat on. 
Number 10: Pasta

Carbs. sigh. I dream about carbs. Sophia Loren tributes her curves to pasta- "Everything you see, I owe it to pasta". Lets join her shall we :)

*How to know if the tomatoes are ripe enough? They shouldn’t be too hard and should give slightly when pressed, they should also be red red red in colour. Hold an Italian “Jam” tomato to your ear, if it flirts with you in Italian then you know its fresh.*

Fantastic easy tomato sauce 
15 * ripe * red Italian tomatoes
Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic sliced
Salt
Sugar

Place a cross on the top and bottom of every tomato. Place in boiling water for one minute. Remove the tomatoes from the hot water and place into cool water. The skins will come off easily.

Heat good glug of olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes until slightly softened.

Chop the Tomatoes roughly.
Add the garlic, and leave to cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
When bubbling nicely, season and add sugar (I like to add some of my Thyme and Apple Jam ) to balance the acidity from the tomatoes.

Serve as you wish: I added cooked chicken, some olives and chopped parsley with some fresh spaghetti.

0 comments: