Berry Nice

Sorbets:
Mixed Berry Sorbet
Pina Colada Sorbet

I have been curbing my inner chef"s shopping habit for years now and have avoided buying an icecream machine. Through my journey of resistant torment I have discovered a way to create sorbet without having a churner. I am about to allow you in to the inner circle of secret recipes and hope they bring you as much joy as they do to me.

Everytime I have a bowl of icecream, I am so disappointed. It promises to be so creamy and lightly sprinkled with all sorts of lovely exciting favours and instead it tastes like sugar combined with a great big slap of syrupy goo. Its hideous! Whatever happened to icecream that actually tastes like the flavour its meant to be? Rather we get stuck with a whole lot of E numbers and synthetic flavoured water fluff.

When it comes to sorbet, im a purist. if it says strawberry on the box, I want it in the box. Nowadays, I have given up on buying a good quality sorbet, and just make it myself.

Since its springie weather I have been dreaming of the first time I tasted a strawberry sorbet and fell in love. It was in Italy last year and I will fly back there just to taste that fabulous gelato again. Im totally into using seasonal fresh produce and since we are in berry season I must take advantage of the fresh ones in all their lovely sweetness.

Fresh berries have so many memories for me. Ripe red raspberries remind me of the time I snuck out of the gate when I was 10 and feasted on the fresh fruit that was abundant on the hedge near my aunt's house. Blueberries remind me of the misty hills of my grandparents farm in the Eastern Cape and Mulberries remind me of my mother standing at the stove, stirring a large bubbling pot of Mulberry Jam, while I feed my silkworms leaves from the same tree.

Berries are fabulous, although a little pricey. They are natures little flavour take aways, with super health benefits.
Most have high ORAC values (Oxygen radical Absorbance capacity- basically their level of antioxidants).

Among the top few are: Cloves, Cinnamin and the superfruits: Acai and Goji Berries. Cranberries, Blueberries and Blackberries are not far behind, and you will be happy to know that dark chocolate also has a high ORAC Value.

Eating healthy amounts of berries help with Eyesight and blood glucose, are anti-aging and help prevent various types of cancer. To find out more foods with a high ORAC value look at: http://oracvalues.com/

Frozen mixed berries as they keep their flavour well but I do find that the strawbs can sometimes be a bit watery. Hillcrest have their own 350g pack of berries, and Pick n Pay also sell frozen berries at R29 for 350g. They blitz quite well either when frozen or fresh,

For my recipe I felt it was a bit of a shame to mush up lovely fresh berries so I have created this recipe using the frozen berries, plus it cuts down on freezing time.

Basic sugar syrup
2 cups (500ml) sugar
2 cups (500ml water

Mix the sugar and water together in a pot, and bring to the boil slowly.
Boil for 5 minutes and let cool.
Excess syrup can be frozen in the freezer for later use.

Berry Sorbet (enough for 4 if you're in the mood to share)
450 g mixed frozen berries
1 to 2 cups (250 - 500 ml) of basic sugar syrup

Add one cup of cooled sugar syrup to the frozen berries, blitz until slushy. freeze for a further hour, or if you have the time to freeze it overnight, add more sugar syrup until a soft slush forms. leave to freeze for longer.
If you want to have a smooth sorbet, add more sugar syrup and strain. You can use the berry leftovers to add ontop of pancakes or add to smoothies or plain icecream.
Leave to freeze overnight, Stirring and breaking the ice crystals at 3 hour intervals.


Pina Colada sorbet
1 tin (300ml) of coconut milk
1 large fresh pineapple.
Basic sugar syrup

Peel and cut the pineapple into chunks and freeze overnight.
Blitz the coconut milk with the pineapple, adding enough sugar syrup to your taste in sweetness (and the sweetness of the pineapple) approximately 3/4 of a cup.

Freeze overnight or for a few hours.

5 comments:

  1. As you can see David, your prize blueberry from your first blueberry harvest came first place on top of the Pina Colada sorbet. It tasted AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both the smoothies, but that pina colada has my name written all over it!! Off to the kitchen I go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies for the incorrect amounts of Berries sold at Pick n pay- Both Hillcrest and PnP are 350g for R29.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nina- enjoy :) Because of the thickness of the Pineapple it holds itself so much better, and wont melt into a puddle within 10 seconds after taking it out the freezer. My friend Louise loves the sorbet, and she cant stand coconut milk- winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gonna be 100 degrees around here this week... Just reading the post makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete